Wednesday, December 28, 2011

What Nerds Do When They Travel by Motorcycle

Right after crossing the border of Chile there was a sign: "Santiago 2081." A few kilometers later, another: "Santiago 2085." Can't catch a break in this long long country!

When I spied the kilometer post 1983 on an 11-km descent into a canyon, I started seeing the signs as years instead of kilometers. (1983 is my year, by the way, the boar.) And so I spent the long hours pondering what famous dates I could take photos of.
Chile's flag may be red, white, and blue, but this is just un-American!!
This may not be a particularly famous date, but it IS a beer.
Gotta give a nod to William the Conquerer.
...let's see, for 1945, 1918, and 1864 I wasn't yet on my historical nerding-out game; I spaced out at 1812; there was no 1607 or 1492; and apart from that I struggled to think of super-famous dates. It showed me my limitations. When was Mohammed born, for instance? That would have been a good one.

Fortunately there were other opportunities for nerdy motorcyclists. I drove up the road to one of the famous Chilean desert observatories and, although they wouldn't let me in the gate to look around, there was this awesome sign.
And finally, this may have been the most exciting sign I've seen yet! A nonpariel landmark.

2 comments:

  1. Aaah this is great, you are my favorite motorcycle nerd! Look at that triumphant stance next to your birth year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it was nice to see my birth-year (the best one) on a sign.

    ReplyDelete