Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Books: A Saga within a Saga

I brought one book with me when I flew to Bogota: The One-Straw Revolution by Masanobu Fukuoka. It was a quick read and good preparation for understanding the philosophy behind the farm where I'll be staying in Argentina. I trusted that en route I would manage to find reading material as I needed it. And I have done, in more ways than I expected.

In Bogota one of my CouchSurfing hosts gave me another book: El Alquimista by Paolo Coelho. An easy read in Spanish, great for relaxing while still practicing the language. I learned one word every five pages.

In Quito I found an English-language bookshop where I bought The Old Patagonian Express by Paul Theroux. I also offered to sell The One-Straw Revolution; the bespectacled English shopkeeper had never heard of it, but a pair of fellow browsers vouched for its popularity and he duly gave me a couple of bucks.

I tore through the Theroux, delighting in his excellent writing, acerbic wit, and characterizations of many places I've also traveled. In Cuenca I found another Theroux, The Kingdom by the Sea, on a book exchange shelf at a bar, and planned to go back later to exchange it for El Alquimista. But, hell and death, when I went back the bar was closed! And I had to leave town. So instead I bought As I Lay Dying, my first Faulkner, at a little bookshop down the street.

Faulkner astounded and maddened me, itching at my thoughts like a hair shirt. I thought I didn't like it, but then I read it again on the lower Urubamba and realized it was simply amazing.

The Australian family I traveled with for two days--an anthropologist couple with 7- and 9-year old daughters--traded books with me: The Old Patagonian Express for What I Loved by Siri Hustvedt. I liked this New Yorky novel for its sensitively drawn characters, portraits of deep adult friendships, and intellectualism. I also read it a second time while stuck in the jungle, for lack of other material.

The third book that I read twice while in the jungle was The Art of Travel by Alain de Botton. An endearing, softspoken Scottish traveler gave it to me in Iquitos. I think I would have enjoyed the book a lot more if it had had a different title. The Art of Travel is a book that Paul Theroux ought to have written, whereas de Botton's book was chiefly interesting for its well-chosen quotes from Flaubert, Wordsworth, John Ruskin, Pascal, and others. Its personal narrative seemed more self-indulgent than anything, with nothing enlightening to say about traveling. But the quotes, such as this one by Flaubert, were priceless: "What stops me from taking myself seriously, even though I'm essentially a serious person, is that I find myself extremely ridiculous--not in the sense of the small-scale ridiculousness of slapstick comedy, but rather in the sense of a ridiculousness that seems intrinsic to human life and that manifests itself in the simplest actions and most ordinary gestures. For example, I can never shave without starting to laugh; it seems so idiotic."

I expected that once I got to Cusco I would be in gringo book heaven, but this was not the case. Books were either expensive ($30 for a beat-up copy of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time?!), crappy, or difficult to find. Eventually I stumbled upon a bookstore whose owner resembled Fidel Castro wearing Buddy Holly glasses. Selling him my Faulkner sparked his literary enthusiasm: he'd read Faulkner's entire ouerve in translation (gesturing to a series of hardbound volumes high on a shelf); Faulkner was the only writer to really pry open man's psychology; Faulkner was the only Nobel winner to actually deserve the prize. Marquez? Not really. Neruda? Definitely not--and Cesar Vallejos was far better anyway. But Faulkner was the pinnacle of all literature.

I came away from this shop with The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai and Radio Romance by Garrison Keillor, both of which I have yet to read.

In a hostel I wandered into to use the bathroom, I spied The Celestine Prophecy and An Introduction to Zen Buddhism by D.T. Suzuki on a shelf and made off with them. I felt I ought to read The Celestine Prophecy as a classic of New Age literature, especially while in Peru, where it's set. I finished it confused by its popularity: it struck me as pure tripe. Suzuki's little book, on the other hand, is a gem.

Today, on a recommendation, I found a magical little cluster of book stands with everything from Ken Follett to Algebra textbooks to Osho books in Spanish. I picked up The Thorn Birds and Crónica de una muerte anunciada by Marquez. So I'm prepared for the unknown territory ahead, fully loaded with four unopened books.

4 comments:

  1. Vacilando through literature!
    Speaking of Neruda, when I took my printer for repair I uncovered the card from Molly and Logan's wedding, with Neruda's Sonnet Eight:

    If your eyes were not the color of the moon,
    of a day of clay, and work, and fire,
    if even held-in you did not carry the agile grace of the air,
    if you were not a week held in amber,

    not the yellow moment
    when autumn climbs up through the vines;
    if you were not the bread the fragrant moon
    kneads, sprinkling its four across the sky,

    oh my dear, I would not love you so!
    But when I hold you, I hold everything that is--
    sand, time, the tree of the rain,

    everything is alive so that I can be alive:
    without leaving your side, I can see it all:
    in your life I see everything that lives.

    What are Osho books? The Osho we know has certain responsibilities at a temple.

    Love, Appa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the counterpoint to the bookkeeper's disparaging of Neruda! Sonnet 8 is proof that he is an incredible poet. So beautiful.

    Yes, Roshi, Sensei, Osho... But Osho was also a spiritual guru of the 80's, aka Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh. He was one of those Rolls Royce gurus. He left a dubious legacy, but I'm a fan of the Tarot deck produced by his organization.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of the crazy masters leave dubious legacies. Look at Chogyam Trungpa as well. Lot's of debaucherous things to be dug up, but it does not mean that there is not wisdom to be realized from them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I have the highest respect for drunken, philandering old Trungpa. He truly was a master. I know less about Osho, but I'm sure he left a legacy of wisdom and compassion as well as Rolls Royces and nitrous oxide.

    ReplyDelete