Sunday, October 9, 2011

Medellín

Medellín has been an incredible experience in public transportation. The two lines of their metro are their own concrete super-city that soars above the streets and rooftops, affording incredible views.


...But then you arrive at one of the two cable cars which attach to the metro and are included in the $0.75 ticket. This one goes up one favela-looking hill, down the other side, across a rushing river, and up another hill.


The cable cars give views like this of intensive hillside development (not all of which is this nice looking)...


...and like this!


From the top of one of the cable cars, I can take a walking path to where I'm staying with La Trieja. The path includes three pedestrian bridges across sharp little valleys where men on horses herd their cows across the municipal infrastructure. City and country are very close together.


The view from one of the bridges shows downtown in the distance, a neighborhood of high rises closer to the mountain, the stream valley where cows wander, and cookie cutter housing developments on both sides. I stayed in the one on the left.


Back in Latin America, I'm drinking coffee again. It just seems right. Soccer, of course, I never stopped watching. This cup of coffee was thoughtfully served with a cupful of straws.


Medellín's main cathedral is entirely of brick. I think it's the first time I've ever seen that done. It created a beautiful space inside, where I sat for a while in contemplation as people trickled in for the third mass of the day.


This young fellow was part of a crew of kids with stilts. They wouldn't don them for me, since they'd just taken them off, but they were happy to shoot the breeze for a while.


Two last words about Medellín: the nickname "City of Eternal Spring" (which its residents like to throw around a lot) is truly deserved, if the weather is anything like it's been for my three days here. It's warm in the day, cool at night, with high puffy clouds, soft air, and occasional pleasant rainshowers. Lovely.
And as far as overcoming its dismal reputation of the early 90s is concerned, the mood of the city as I've experienced it is great. People are cheerful and community-oriented. Friendly soccer games abound, people are happy to chat, and everyone's house is my house if I've talked with them for more than five minutes. Way to go, Medellín.

4 comments:

  1. As with the other posts, a perfect blend of images and narrative. We're right there with you! (The cow is priceless, eyeing you ever so slightly over its shoulder.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cow was starting to get a little nervous about my Rogers fast walk.
    Glad to hear people are right here with me, it makes the trip that much more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting contrast in public transport, Medellin and Bogota. I find M's two lines on a tiny map in my Transit Maps of the World -- in 2007, constr. was continuing in both directions along the river, and up the valley you photographed (ending then at San Javier). 18 miles, 25 stations. Impressive. No map at all for Bogota, since buses were deemed insuff'ly metro-like. We're with you on maps as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. trying to sign up with the site ....

    ReplyDelete