Thursday, October 6, 2011

A Boxear!

Last Saturday night Isa taught several of us in the apartment here in Chapinero some boxing combos from the classes she's been taking. As she punched and blocked, I saw a steely look enter her eyes, and I was intrigued. Apparently so was Daniel; today both of us accompanied her to the gym and got some introductory training from Orlando. Orlando's being from the coast and having had his bell rung a number of times makes him pretty hard to understand, but no matter: all we needed to do was imitate him to learn the combos and dance around in the ring with him. The SMACK of gloves against the punch mitts was heady, but my left hand dropped every time I started enjoying it, and SLAP, Orlando's hand was on my cheek, his eyes glimmering a cheerful warning. It was a great workout, especially at 8600', and great fun.




2 comments:

  1. Grandma says, "I'd rather he learn some South American DANCE moves."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I somehow managed to leave Cali without going to its famous salsa clubs, but there's always tango awaiting me farther south.

    ReplyDelete