Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Moto Day 7: Valparaiso to Cauquenes

Wine country day! The landscape looked like Napa, except the towns were shabbier and more adorable. Life in these little vineyard towns felt slow-paced and friendly. I took windy back roads, which were a lot of fun to drive. They twisted up and down scrubby hills and moseyed along hot valleys full of vineyards. Some were small, some were industrial-size, probably producing wines we see in grocery stores in the States. I kept an eye out for a Concha y Toro sign, but saw only unfamiliar brand names.
By the time I got to the end of my day I'd reached lumber country. Pine plantations covered the low inland mountains with shade and the rich scent of pine straw. This was the best relief from the desert yet. I camped in the edge of one of these forests, just out of sight of the road. There seemed to be no risk of rain so I slept tarpless, gazing at the unfamiliar constellations until my eyes drifted shut.

2 comments:

  1. Why is it still day 7? I am starting to get worried. I hope that you are safe.
    Love,
    Kyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm okay!! I just haven't had much time for blogging lately. I hope to get some more posts up soon. The moto trip ended up being 10 days, and now it's been two weeks since it ended. I'm very behind.

      Delete